The open-mic continues tonight and now every Thursday at Paddy Rice with the Electric Eclectic Limelight Jukebox Jam sessions. All musicians are welcome to play as the venue makes available a full drum-kit, 2 mics and a PA with fold-back.
Friday sees the return of Tree at the Velkommen Inn - a great place for an after work beer with good food and a blend of folk, pop and rock songs, with an emphasis on melodic songs. Later the same night sees the return of the Lazy Jazz Drunks at Sharkys. There is a possibility that this gig will be preceded by a set by one of two preeminent Khmer rock bands - either Cartoon Emo or Pilgrim. These bands will be worth catching as they are the first known (to this blog at least) foray by Khmer rock bands into the sphere of original material and true rock & roll. They will be worth catching (if their management get their ass into gear).
The Bayon Blues will also be playing this Friday night at Equinox. This will be the bands debut at this venue and it should really be one of the best gigs of the night. Their coverage of old-style, classic blues from the 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s is one of the most professional in the country. The band is also embarking on a fully-electrified foray into true Chicago-style blues.
The big gig for Saturday will be the induction of another new combination into the Phnom Penh music scene called The Phnom Penh Hippie Orchestra. The band consists of 12 musicians playing Eastern-European, Arabian, Jewish, Middle and North-American traditional music. There should be a lot of dancing to be had and should definitely be worth catching. They will play at the Chinese House starting at around 8:00PM. Saturday night also sees the Wonders Band elucidating the best afro-reggae beat in town.
Here's this weeks gig guide:
Live Music Gigs
- Thursday 30-Sep-2010 at 8:00PM ~ The Elegant Touch at the Chinese House [MORE INFO]
- Thursday 30-Sep-2010 at 8:30PM ~ the Electric Eclectic Limelight Jukebox Jam at Paddy Rice [MORE INFO]
- Friday 1-Oct-2010 at 8:30PM ~ Tree at the Velkommen Inn [MORE INFO]
- Friday 1-Oct-2010 at 9:00PM ~ Lazy Jazz Drunks at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- Friday 1-Oct-2010 at 9:00PM ~ Bayon Blues at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Friday 1-Oct-2010 at 9:00PM ~ Warapo at the FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- Saturday 2-Oct-2010 at 6:00PM ~ The Cambodian Space Project at Maxines (Snow's Bar) [MORE INFO]
- Saturday 2-Oct-2010 at 8:00PM ~ The Phnom Penh Hippie Orchestra at the Chinese House [MORE INFO]
- Saturday 2-Oct-2010 at 9:00PM ~The Wonders Band at the Do It All Club & Bistro [MORE INFO]
- Wednesday 6-Oct-2010 at 7:00PM ~ Acoustic Sessions featuring Julien Poulson at Setsara [MORE INFO]
- Thursday 30-Sep-2010~ DJ Gang and DJ Blue at the Riverhouse [MORE INFO]
- Saturday 2-Oct-2010 at 10:00PM ~ DJ Tech 12 and MC Hydrophonics at the Riverhouse Lounge [MORE INFO]
- Bum N Draze at Sharky Bar Halloween [MORE INFO]
- The Stiff Little Punks and The Fumes at Sharky Bar [MORE INFO]
- The Teaner Terners at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Phil Manning at the FCC Phnom Penh