Phnom Penh will add yet another new live performance venue this weekend when the brand new German Cambodian Cultural Center finally opens to the public. The new venue is supported by the German Goethe Institute, and is a consolidation of the “Art Plus” Foundation, the local NGO “Karuna” and the MetaHouse. There first event is on Friday and involves an art exhibition together with an ambiance created by DJ Dr. Wah Wah from Primitive Souls. On Saturday the first of the concerts presented through the ArtPlus foundation will feature Markus Gundermann on violin, Anton Isselhardt on flute and Steven Retallick on the violoncello. There will be a number of other new events and happenings coming up with this venue - so stay tuned. The new building is located at #37 Sothearos Street - south of Sihanouk Blvd.
Another feature for those of you who are more culturally inclined is next weeks jazz charity event put on my Studio 182 for the A NEW DAY CAMBODIA. This NGO helps support children at the rubbish dump and will be collecting money at the door. Studio 182 continues to bring high quality performers to Cambodia when next month they will introduce Jus' Cynthia - it is well worth catching this highly polished act.
Mith Samlanh (Friends) will also be having a huge event this weekend when they celebrate their 15th year anniversary of this very worthwhile organization. The Mayors of Simpleton and Los Poporks will feature as live music at the party and it will be followed up by DJ Frankie as he slides through his selection of digital tracks. It will be held at Romdeng Restaurant which is located at #74 Street 174 in Daun Penh. All proceeds from the event go to the support of vulnerable children and youth.
Also make sure you get down to Equinox this Saturday to catch Los Poporks as they inaugurate the brand new venue setup.
Note that the Curtis King Band gig slated for next weekend at Sharkys has been canceled with the only good news being that it has been rescheduled for later on in the year. Instead you can be treated so some outstanding classic rock & roll / blues from Kenny and the boys from Lost Highway on the 4th. They will be supported by Cambodia's irrefutably worst punk band- the Stiff Little Punks.
Please also note that I tend to get a lot of requests now from venues looking for live music bands nowadays. It would be most convenient if you could pass me the details of any acts you have in order for me to have information placed on our PERFORMERS page. If you have something you think it worthwhile presenting as an act then please forward me (as appropriate):
NAME OF BAND / PERFORMER:
NUMBER OF MEMBERS:
TYPE OF MUSIC (Genre) PLAYED:
INSTRUMENTS IN BAND:
WEB SITE ADDRESS:
SHORT DESCRIPTION OF BAND:
Please also attach the bands most appropriate photo / logo if you like.
Live Music Gigs
- Thursday 24-Jun-2010 ~ Expresso Thmei at The 252 [MORE INFO]
- Friday 25-Jun-2010 ~ Mayors of Simpleton, Los Poporks and DJ Frankie at the Friends International 15th Anniversary Party [MORE INFO]
- Saturday 26-Jun-2010 ~ Los Poporks at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Saturday 26-Jun-2010 ~ Opening Concert featuring TRIOthlon at the German Cambodian Cultural Center [MORE INFO]
- Saturday 26-Jun-2010 ~ Shangri La at the Dream Up Bar & Restaurant [MORE INFO]
- Sunday 27-Jun-2010 ~ Minstrel at the Dream Up Bar & Restaurant [MORE INFO]
- Wednesday 30-Jun-2010 ~ Jazz for a New Day at Studio 182 [MORE INFO]
- Thursday 24-Jun-2010 ~ DJ Yukie at the Riverhouse Lounge [MORE INFO]
- Friday 25-Jun-2010 ~ Dr. Wah Wah at the German Cambodian Cultural Center [MORE INFO]
- Saturday 26-Jun-2010 ~ DJ Solo, DJ Illest and DJ Blue at Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- Saturday 26-Jun-2010 ~ DJ Jimmy at the FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- Saturday 26-Jun-2010 ~ DJ G-ROM and DJ Edward at the Riverhouse Lounge [MORE INFO]