This weekend sees a certain amount of consolidation in the local live music and DJ scene with totally great array of quality live music from classic 60's and 70's pop to 80's/90's alternative-indie rock, to reggae/funk, Cambodian rock, to hard-core metal, to gypsy jazz and to un-miss-able full-on Chicago blues. The great thing about it is that there are more bands playing original music than ever. Variety is the key and you will need to make your choice on Friday and Saturday as they are all (mostly) crammed into these 2 nights!
If you want to get an early start this weekend then I recommend you heading to Mao's tonight for the versatile and wonderful sounds of Holliday in Cambodia. They will start at around 8:30PM.
Friday night sees the much anticipated return of some members of the Mekong Pirates as they re-coagulate into a new outfit with the great name of Cyclosonik. They will make their debut at Le Jardin starting at the earlier time of 7:30PM. Sharkys will have the full membership of the Lazy Dunks playing on Friday night and will be preceded by a showcase of the The Choppers. Later on Friday you can make your way to Mao's (cnr. the riverfront and street 106) for a great night of DJ collectives from DJ Lefty featuring DJ Cool Sam.
On Saturday, Mao's will also host the totally great pumpin' Chicago blues riffs and standards from Little Duke and the Mekong Blues Messengers. This band should totally roar at this venue with the well laid out format. This band can really get the whole house moving and dancing - and this venue will really suit them. The band is fronted by Jonas 'Little Duke' Hastings who has played with the likes of Peter Green and Taj Mahal and other great blues legends. This band at this venue is not to be missed.
Earlier on Saturday, at MetaHouse, you will be able to catch another serene, self-possessed and enigmatic performance from Ingolv Haaland as he joins with Ouch Savy and other special guests for an eclectic performance of soothing Khmer/Nordic original compositions. Definitely worth getting there.
The ever-popular, totally danceable and rockin' psychedelic riffs of the Cambodian Space Project returns to the capital this Saturday night at Equinox. Expect a packed house at the newly-renovated venue that promises more space and better air-conditioning. Should be a HUGE gig.
The Phnom Penh Hippie Orchestra will also most likely play to a packed dance floor this Saturday night at the FCC Phnom Penh. The wonderful array of eastern-European, gypsy-swing and folk presented by the (up to) 14-member band is totally worth seeing.
Lastly but not 'leastly' is the inaugural Cambodian Headbangers Ball that will be showcased at Sharkys on Saturday night. This is a totally new concept and many say it the start of something BIG in this country. The night will include performances by Pilgrim, Anti-Fate, Sliten6IX, Oscar's Band and AstraNova. Several of these bands are young Cambodians performing full-on hard core ORIGINAL Khmer rock. If you are a Sinn Sisomouth fan then I would imagine that this gig might not be for you - but if you are bold enough to get there then you may bear witness to the beginning of a new era of alternative rock in Cambodia.
It's a totally tough choice - I know - but whichever venue and gig you decide to get to then have a great time. Also, if you like this web site and newsletter service, then please mention it to your friends and also particularly to the managers of the bars around the traps. Please understand that if we don't get some level of benefit for the service we provide then we will not be able to continue.
Cheers, have a great and totally danceable weekend and see you around the traps. Here's this weeks gig guide.
Live Music and DJs Gig Guide of Cambodia
- 8:30PM ~ Holliday in Cambodia at Mao's [MORE INFO]
- 7:30PM ~ Cyclosonik at Le Jardin [MORE INFO]
- 8:30PM ~ The Lazy Drunks and The Choppers at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- 9:00PM ~ The Fumes at Paddy Rice [MORE INFO]
- 9:00PM ~ DJ Lefty featuring DJ Cool Sam at Mao's [MORE INFO]
- 9:00PM ~ DJ MJ Cole at Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- 7:00PM ~ Ingolv Haaland at MetaHouse [MORE INFO]
- 8:00PM ~ Pilgrim, Anti-Fate, Sliten6IX, Oscars and AstraNova at the Cambodian Headbangers Ball at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- 8:30PM ~ Little Duke and the Mekong Blues Messengers at Mao's [MORE INFO]
- 8:30PM ~ The Cambodian Space Project and Professor Kinski at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- 8:30PM ~ The Phnom Penh Hippie Orchestra at the FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- 8:30PM ~ Mix & Match at Mao's
- 8:30PM ~ Mr Nû at Mao's [MORE INFO]
- The Mekong Pirates Album Launch at Gasolina [MORE INFO]
- Little Duke and the Mekong Blues Messengers at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- Squishy and The Fumes at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- Bella Voce at the Intercontinental Ballroom [MORE INFO]
- Bum N Draze and Rock & Roll High School at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- The Teaner Terners at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- The Uke Dukes at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- DJ CoolSam at Mao's [MORE INFO]