The gig-guide is veritably packed this week as we roll right into the high-season - 18 gigs on this Friday and Saturday. Cool!
The Expat SoundSystem will be on again at MetaHouse on Thursday, this week featuring Sa Rah and Johan. Note that this regular event always features a number of movie screenings prior to the music. This week the venue screens 14 of the best documentaries made in the past 10 years from the journalism program at the RUPP.
On Friday four venues are carrying the beat with DJ parties as we cool down to the winter solstice. Marco Anthony will join regular DJs Black and Brown at the Heart of Darkness as they present a series of Tech, Minimal and Tribal House well into the wee hours. At the Eighty8 the trio of DJ Bassbender, DJ DSN and DJ Cyncity will present the venue's Addicts Anonymous party on Street 88. At Pontoon the Paris-based electronic-mix band known as DirtyPhonics will inject the dance floor with a ton of Bass Music and Dubstep energy. You will also be able to catch DJ Joeki at The RiverHouse Lounge - smokin'
If you are in Siem Reap this weekend then don't miss your chance to catch the debut of Grass Snake Union at the Banana Leaf on Friday. Also catch CamboJam as the debut at the Mme Beer Garden on Friday and Abacus on Saturday night.
As mentioned in last weeks blurb, there will be an opening party for a totally new venue this Saturday night featuring the totally energetic, totally danceable Latino band from Vietnam known as Bad Neighbors. It will occur at the Latin Quarter on the corner of Streets 19 and 178 and should be a great show. There are two more opening parties. The first being the revamped and newly-managed Do It All club on Street 174 which will feature the highly versatile, bouncing and energetic sounds of electronic mix musician Professor Kinski. Should be a totally great night. Secondly the recently renovated and (hopefully) sound-proofed Red Orchid will open its doors with the Lazy Drunks and guests on Saturday night.
Plenty more happening. Tune into the gig-guide below in order to get all the details.
News this week in that there will be a HUGE international concert at the Olympic stadium put on by MTV and their EXIT concert series. This is the second time the concert has been in Cambodia - the first being at Angkor Wat a few years ago. The concerts aim to raise awareness of human trafficking and the need for its eradication. The concert will feature the totally famous U.S. all-boy band called Click Five. Not to be gender specific - the concert also features the all-girl Korean ensemble known as After School. It will also feature a number of well known local acts - including Amanda Bloom, Preap Sovath and Cartoon Emo. Cool!
Also look this month for two return gigs by Conrad Keely as well as the return of Dub Addiction, two gigs by the Phnom Penh Hippie Orchestra and the debut of the new totally funk band Durian at the Memphis Pub.
I will leave you this week with a couple of videos of what you might expect at Pontoon this Friday
From Ted and I here in the back streets of Phnom Penh, have a great weekend, be cool with each other and see you around the traps. Here's this weeks gig-guide.
- 7:00 PM ~ CamboJam at Mme Beer Garden in Siem Reap [MORE INFO]
- 7:00 PM ~ Ritchy & Phil at Bouchon Wine Bar [MORE INFO]
- 8:30 PM ~ Musikero at Paddy Rice [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ The Grass Snake Union at Banana Leaf in Siem Reap [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Dirtyphonics * at Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Little Duke and the Mekong Blues Messengers at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Bassbender, DJ DSN and DJ Cyncity at The Eighty8 [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Marco Anthony at Heart of Darkness [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Joeki at The RiverHouse Lounge [MORE INFO]
- 8:00 PM ~ Juram at The FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- 8:00 PM ~ The Teaner Terners at GreenHouse in Kampot [MORE INFO]
- 8:00 PM ~ Bad Neighbors at Latin Quarter [MORE INFO]
- 8:00 PM ~ Marco Anthony, DJ Rob Little and B (ASTROPHYSICAL) at Le Liban [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Astra Nova at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Professor Kinski at Do It All Club [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Lazy Drunks at The Red Orchid [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Rob Little and DJ Stryker Lefty at Heart of Darkness [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ CamboJam at Abacus in Siem Reap [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Syse Swing at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- 9:30 PM ~ DJ Blue and DJ Gang at Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- Kheltival at Wat Bothum [MORE INFO]
- Phnom Penh Hippie Orchestra at Equinox [MORE INFO], Le Jardin [MORE INFO]
- Dub Addiction at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Conrad Kealy, Billy Page and TJ Brown at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Sliten6ix and Anti-Fate at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Bum N Draze at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- The Teaner Terners at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- Durian at The Memphis Pub [MORE INFO]
- David Gunn and Guillermo E.Brown at Java Cafe [MORE INFO]
- Conrad Kealy at MetaHouse [MORE INFO]
- Amanda Bloom, Cartoon Emo, Click Five*, After School*, Preab Sovath, Sok Pisey, Eklectic and Thmore Band at Olympic Stadium [MORE INFO]
- The Ukes of Hazard at The FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- Drop the Lime * at Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- DJ ODY-C at Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- Marco Anthony at Mezze Bar in Siem Reap [MORE INFO], Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- Various DJs at MetaHouse [MORE INFO]
- DJ Jimmy Salsa at The FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- DJ Gang at The FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- Totally Resurrected * at Ream National Park in Kampong Som [MORE INFO]
- Dub Addiction, DJ Chase, DJ Matoo, DJ Gorimaa, DJ Edwardowski, Preap Sovath and Khemara Sereymon at Phare Ponleu Selpak Site in Battambang [MORE INFO]