Another Leng Pleng Thursday has rolled around - in fact almost a whole year - with this week, of course, featuring a large number of gigs leaning on the New Years eve sentiment. The DJs will almost certainly be taking you into 2012 this Saturday night. They will be out in force at all the major venues and they will be pumping you with music to step and groove late late into Sunday morning and the beginning of a new year. With Monday being a holiday, it is a good excuse to make this years transition one to remember.
The live music for the week sees a run of solo or duo performances. The first is in Kep on Thursday when Syse Swing will play at the new Jasmin Valley Amphitheater. Friday sees the the second of a few gigs from Scoddy on his Christmas sojourn back into the local fold. He will play Rubies on Friday afternoon for those looking for an early start to the new year. The main live music gigs happening on the NYE Saturday night are with the Lazy Drunks taking us into 2012 at Sharkys and Ritchy & Phil at Le Royal.
The latter of these gigs will be very special indeed. In fact the music will be provided by a new ensemble that Ritchy & Phil have put together called Khmarang. The band includes guitar, saxophone, Khmer xylophone and percussion and will cover a 'festive repertoire' of swing, bossa-nova and Khmer traditional tunes. Cool! It will also feature a performance by the circus troupe Phare Ponleu Selpak. There will be a swimming pool where proceedings will start around dinner time. Definitely will be a great night.
Next year look out for international singer/songwriter Jerry Joseph from the U.S. as he teams with local performers to do a series of gigs across south-east Asia - including Kampot and Phnom Penh. Great!
Also look for the release of Krom's album Songs from the Noir in 2012. It will include a song called “Where are you?” that features a vocals performance from Sophea Chamroeun - a graduate from Cambodian Living Arts Dance and Music. The song composed by Krom front man minko, production by Thomas Friml with additional instrumentation by George Friml of the legendary Australian cult band ”The Bachelors from Prague” and video production by Sarin Chhuon of Cambodian Living Arts. Cool!
This week a couple of videos from El Dealbreaks, who will be able to catch around the traps in the ensuing period. The first is an instrumental recorded at the Bodhi Villa in Kampot. The second is a great song that befits the dancing audience.
Also check out the web site and songs on offer from one of the longest running bands from expat-Kampuchea. It is the legendary Bum N Draze and a warning before you visit the web site - it is not for the feint of heart. Cheers and enjoy.
From Ted and I here in the back streets of Phnom Penh, have a great New Years weekend, be cool with each other and see you around the traps. Here's this weeks gig-guide.
- 5:00 PM ~ Syse Swing at Jasmin Valley Amphitheater in Kep [MORE INFO]
- 2:00 PM ~ Scoddy at Rubies Wine Bar [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Rob Little, DJ Flo, DJ Achaya and VJ Schkouty at Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ CamboJam at Banana Leaf in Siem Reap [MORE INFO]
- 7:00 PM ~ Ritchy & Phil and Khmarang at Raffles Le Royal [MORE INFO]
- 8:00 PM ~ DJ Marco Anthony and DJ DSN at Elsewhere [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Lazy Drunks at Sharkys [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ K'Dam at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Dr. Wah Wah at Kep Lodge in Kep [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Gang at The FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ NYE Masquerade Party at The RiverHouse Lounge [MORE INFO]
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ Rob Little and DJ Illest at Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- The Teaner Terners at The Cavern [MORE INFO], Equinox [MORE INFO]
- El Dealbreakers at Equinox [MORE INFO], The FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- Holiday in Cambodia at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Dub Addiction at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Jerry Joseph * & Frank Ruffolo at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Phnom Penh Hippie Orchestra at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Tree at Velkommen Backpackers [MORE INFO]
- DJ Cut Killer at Pontoon [MORE INFO]