What a great weekend of outrageously cool gigs! Sincerest of apologies though, because, unfortunately, you are going to have to make some tough decisions about which live music or DJ event for you. It is unlikely that you will be able to see all of the gigs on offer. Having said that, this is Cambodia and hence it is totally possible for you to garner all manner of transport and zip from gig to gig via moto, tuk-tuk, cyclo and taxi. Whatever you manage to do just totally enjoy this weekends feast of great gigs.
It starts at the MetaHouse this evening where DJ Rude Boy and French House will dominate the airwaves after their scheduled movie. Later on, at Sharkys, there will be the first of three gigs that Lottie Dah and Furor U5 will perform over the weekend. This is part of the venue's Ladies Night and includes a number of drinks specials and a lucky draw. The music starts at 11:00PM.
Friday is absolutely packed with some totally great live music. The 7:00PM gig at The Willow will feature a new ensemble that brings together the wonderful sounds of Euan Gray together with the mellifluous vocals of the gorgeous Rihannon Johnson and great keys and vocals of Charlie Corrie. Really well worth getting there.
At the same time a great array of original and Latino covers can be heard from Diego "El Gipsy" Dimarques and Philippe Javelle at the brand new La Bodega (opposite La Patate on Street 5). Diego is a French-Spanish guitarst / singer-songwriter who is part of the Gypsy Kings family - the story of this very famous musical troupe and their families can be seen here. We are so lucky to have such great music in this part of the world.
Equinox puts on a totally special night of Hip-Hop this Friday when they bring the international talents of Lottie Dah and Furor U5 with Gobeshite and Task One. It will be a great mix of this genre and should be the most special way to catch Lottie Dah and Furor U5 over this weekend.
Friday night also sees one of Cambodia's premier rock bands Cartoon Emo descending on Sharkys to unleash their contemporary vision of futuristic deathcore rock n roll ! Not for the faint hearted ! The Score celebrates Canada Day this Friday also - with the professional sounds of Musikero. Also get to The Garage if you can to catch the Glimmer Twins perform their (presumably ;o) ) Rolling Stones dominated sets.
For lovers of Blues slide and finger-picking then you should definitely get down and see Phil Manning as he arrives direct from Australia at the FCC Phnom Penh this Friday and Saturday. Phil is the founding member of Australian heavy-blues band legends Chain. Definitely get down to see Phil this weekend for some brilliant guitar work and original blues.
Also on Saturday in Kampot the Greenhouse is re-opening. Marco (from Equinox) has now partnered with Donkey Dave to get this great south-coast live music venue happening. It is a totally gorgeous and beautiful area - right on the Kampot River near the foot of Phnom Bokor. Definitely the place to be this weekend for those in Kampot because the Grass Snake Union will perform there on Saturday night. Cool!
Latest news from Equinox say that they now have a live video stream available of their gigs. You never have to miss an Equinox gig again. You can see the live stream during the gigs at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-music-at-equinox-cambodia. So super-cool!
From Ted and I here in the back streets of Phnom Penh, have a great weekend, be cool with each other and see you around the traps. Here's this week's gig guide.
- 7:00 PM ~ DJ Rude Boy at MetaHouse
- 11:00 PM ~ Lottie Dah * and Furor U5 * at Sharkys
- 7:00 PM ~ Diego "El Gipsy" Dimarques and Philippe Javelle at La Bodega
- 7:00 PM ~ DJ Dr House, Euan Gray, Rihannon Johnson and Charlie Corrie at The Willow
- 8:00 PM ~ The Glimmer Twins at Garage Bar
- 8:00 PM ~ Musikero at The Score
- 8:30 PM ~ Phil Manning * at The FCC Phnom Penh
- 9:00 PM ~ Gobeshite, Lottie Dah *, Furor U5 * and Task One at Equinox
- 9:00 PM ~ Simon Whetham * at MetaHouse
- 9:00 PM ~ Cartoon Emo at Sharkys
- 11:00 PM ~ DJ DTonn at The Cotton Club
- 11:30 PM ~ DJ Octo * at Pontoon
- 7:00 PM ~ The Grass Snake Union at The GreenHouse in Kampot
- 7:00 PM ~ Ritchy & Phil and Rihannon Johnson at The Red Apron
- 8:00 PM ~ GTS Jazz at Le Moon
- 9:00 PM ~ The Lazy Drunks and Kenny Smith at Sharkys
- 9:00 PM ~ Lottie Dah * and Furor U5 * at The RiverHouse Lounge
- 9:00 PM ~ Phil Manning * at The FCC Phnom Penh
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ Bassbender, DJ StrikeCee and DJ DSN at The Cotton Club
- 11:00 PM ~ DJ Illest at Pontoon
- 3:00 PM ~ Rory and Al at Rubies Wine Bar
- 7:00 PM ~ The Messenger Band at MetaHouse
- 7:00 PM ~ DJ Bubble, DJ Tom Tom and Steve Cadd at Tuk-Tuk Bar in Siem Reap
- 8:00 PM ~ Open Mic with Smokin Kenny Smith at The Red Orchid
- The Phnom Penh Hippie Orchestra at Sharkys , Equinox
- DJ Bassbender, Anti-Fate, DJ Dr House, DJ Hey Zeus, DJ Ian G and PI-Sand at Mao's
- DJ The Dude * at MetaHouse
- DJ Cyncity, DJ Dan Beck, DJ Peanut and DJ Astroboys at MetaHouse
- DJ Edwardowski, DJ Tom Tom, Steve Cadd, DJ Sakura Boom and Alexandre Scarpati at The Under Construction Bar & Restaurant in Siem Reap