...and welcome to another, slightly-later-than-usual, weekly wrap of the local Cambodian music scene.
News this week that the Cambodian Space Project's debut album is zooming up several World Music charts. Look soon for their new video produced and directed by Marc Eberle. A taste can be had here. Whilst on the subject of the 'Eberle-Factor', all and sundry are welcome to join Dub Addiction and Marc in celebration on the Kampot river next weekend at the GreenHouse. See the gig guide for more details.
Professor Kinski will join the techno-music mix duo Indradevi from the U.S. to kick off the music weekend tonight at Equinox. Indradevi combine Drum N Bass techno with traditional Cambodian themes and music in a Jangala-esque genre. A taste of this is available via their SoundCloud page:
You can like the bands Facebook page and get more info of them here.
Also on tonight and Sunday is the sporadic and much-welcomed re-appearance of Kheltica playing a great range of acoustic Celtic folk. They will play at The Score on Friday and Le Jardin on Sunday afternoon/evening.
Also, as mentioned in last weeks blurb, you can catch Jerry Joseph and Frank Ruffolo in Kampot this weekend. See a couple of videos of the performers below.
If you are in Sihanoukville then you can join Bum N Draze on Saturday night at the Led Zephyr as they bring their unique style of heavy-metal, grunge rock to the town's newest and hottest live music venue. Another new venue - the Red Orchid is having two acts this weekend which includes the Lazy Drunks on Friday.
The Curtis King Band also returns to the capital this weekend with two shows - one at the Hotel Intercontinental on Saturday night and a return gig at Sharkys on Sunday night. Stalwarts of the local music scene will be happy to see, as part of the line-up, Davis Zunk from the Happy Lucky Love You Long Time band and, more recently, the Saigon-based Wunderlusters. Cool!
I will leave you with two videos this week. The first is the latest offering from one of the countries best music web sites The Tuk Tuk Sessions (www.TukTukSessions.com) plus a video lifted from Jerry Joseph's web site.
From Ted and I here in the back streets of Phnom Penh, have a great weekend, be cool with each other and see you around the traps. Here's this weeks gig-guide.
- 9:00 PM ~ Professor Kinski and Indradevi at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Kheltica at The Score [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Jerry Joseph* and Frank Ruffolo at The Bodhi Villa in Kampot [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ The Lazy Drunks at The Red Orchid [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Peanut and Emcee Dolla at The RiverHouse Lounge [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Rob Little , DJ Flo Trallala , DJ Achayer and DJ Stevie J at Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- 7:00 PM ~ Peter Heeren at MetaHouse [MORE INFO]
- 7:00 PM ~ DJ DTonn at Silk Garden in Siem Reap [MORE INFO]
- 8:30 PM ~ Warapo at The FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- 8:30 PM ~ The Curtis King Band * at The Hotel InterContinental [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ The Fumes at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Jerry Joseph* and Frank Ruffolo at Madi's House in Kampot [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Illest and GhettoBlasters at Pontoon [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Bum N Draze at The Led Zephyr in Kampong Som [MORE INFO]
- 9:00 PM ~ Stringz & Soul at The Red Orchid [MORE INFO]
- 11:00 PM ~ DJ DSN and DJ Steph at The Cotton Club [MORE INFO]
- Dub Addiction at Equinox [MORE INFO], The GreenHouse in Kampot [MORE INFO]
- Jerry Joseph and Frank Ruffolo at Equinox [MORE INFO], The FCC Phnom Penh [MORE INFO]
- Phnom Penh Hippie Orchestra at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- The Grass Snake Union at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Durian at Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Little Duke and the Mekong Blues Messengers at The Led Zephyr in Kampong Som [MORE INFO]
- The Teaner Terners at Mao's [MORE INFO], Sharkys [MORE INFO] and Equinox [MORE INFO]
- Jaguar Skills at Pontoon [MORE INFO]