Another huuuuge musical feast coming your way this weekend - it must high season. Especially on the south coast where the live music scene in Sihanoukville, Kampot and Kep is on the up and up.
Six gigs on the horizon for those in Sihanoukville this weekend. The great harmonica work of James Cecil hosts the regular Thursday night open-mics at Ritchies Bar this week and every week at this venue. Located right on the beach - a totally cool place to be on a Thursday evening. If you are a musician and you are in Sihanoukville then you should check the whereabouts of the Sihanoukville Music Collective - a band of disparate expat musicians playing a mix of pop, rock, blues, jazz, and funk apparently. This weekend they are playing are three different venues - The Kuren Bar, the newly opened Otres Market and Dara's Beachside Bar. Check it out.
Metahouse continues to ramp up the DJ mix this weekend and it all starts tonight (Thursday) with a performance by VJ Schkouty, DJ Tonle Dub and Amplifire - featuring electronic mix artiste - Professor Kinski. On Friday the venue hosts a Fusion Party and on Saturday the Invisible Agent label brings you four DJ performers, Dr. Wah Wah, Warren Daly, Chris Bradbury and DJ Wez-T together with a visual show. Cool!
As you may have heard, the world is about to end at midnight (presumably) on the 21st of this month (i.e.: Saturday - don't forget to put a reminder on your phone). There are several venues in party-mode for this so as to make sure that patrons can make sure they get their fair share of alcohol before this relatively tragic event. Equinox has astutely recognized that it is also the winter solstice and are celebrating both events, as well as Nick Kelly's birthday apparently. Pontoon have DJ Eclectik and DJ Ollieple playing, whilst La Croisette will host the Cambodian Space Project as celebration of the official soft re-opening of the venue. Super-cool!
There are several other auspicious gigs on this same night. A new David Bowie Cover band will play at Sharkys this Friday. They are called Station to Station and JJ from the band writes: Taking the stage will be mixture of familiar and new faces on the local music scene - Jet Odrerir (vocals), Smokin' Kenny Smith (bass), Darren Jensen (Keyboards), Julien Mariani (drums), and JJ on guitar. The set list moves around the early to middle eras of Bowie's catalogue, so if you haven't heard "Let's dance" for a while, "put on your red shoes, and dance the blues" ! Or, help sing along to Fa- Fa-Fa-Fa-Fashion ! More info can be found on the band here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Station-To-Station/453304414704700.
Also on Friday night you can attend the launch of the new album by Gobeshite and DJ DSK at The Doors. Cool!
If you somehow miraculously make it to Saturday then you will be able to be at the return of the totally house-pumping, eclectic reggae-dub band of Dub Addiction to Equinox. A totally great band. You will also be able to see the return of another band to Sharkys - the Lazy Drunks - this time sporting Scott Bywater on lead vocals as regular front man Ian Rowlett Anderson is currently with friends and family in England.
The musical weekend doesn't stop there as there are gigs that occur on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. These gigs in celebration of Christmas festivities.
Coming up look for the elusive Krom as they make another appearance at The Doors. Also, if you are in Siem Reap, the look for a totally great acoustic performer called Mathius who will play at The Warehouse. Check out the following song from Mathius by CLICKING HERE. You can catch more of this performers music at http://www.reverbnation.com/mathiasmusic.
Also (possibly) look for Finnish performer Bon Jouni who may be playing around the traps soon (more details here).
From Ted and I here in the back streets of Phnom Penh, have a great weekend, be cool with each other and see you around the traps. Here's this week's gig guide.
- 7:30 PM ~ James Cecil at Ritchies Bar in Sihanoukville
- 8:00 PM ~ Scott Bywater at The RiverHouse Bar & Bistro
- 9:00 PM ~ VJ Schkouty, DJ Tonle Dub and Amplifire at MetaHouse
- 5:30 AM ~ Sihanoukville Music Collective at The Kuren Bar in Sihanoukville
- 8:00 PM ~ DJ Wez-T at The Miro
- 9:00 PM ~ Fusion Party at MetaHouse
- 9:00 PM ~ End of the World Party at Equinox
- 9:00 PM ~ The Divas at Paddy Rice
- 9:00 PM ~ Station to Station at Sharkys
- 9:00 PM ~ The Cambodian Space Project at La Croisette
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Dean "Wolf" Bailey at The Warehouse in Siem Reap
- 10:00 PM ~ Gobeshite and DJ DSK * at The Doors
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ Eclectik and DJ Ollieple at Pontoon
- 4:00 PM ~ Sihanoukville Music Collective at The Otres Market in Sihanoukville
- 8:00 PM ~ Martin The Martian and Brentus JP at The Red Orchid
- 9:00 PM ~ Dr. Wah Wah, Warren Daly, Chris Bradbury and DJ Wez-T at MetaHouse
- 9:00 PM ~ The Lazy Drunks at Sharkys
- 9:00 PM ~ Dub Addiction at Equinox
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Lewis Lee at The RiverHouse Lounge
- 10:00 PM ~ GhettoBlasters at Pontoon
- 11:00 PM ~ DJ Flo Trallala and Stryker Lefty at The Pontoon Bistro Lounge
- 5:30 PM ~ Sihanoukville Music Collective at Dara’s Beach Bar in Sihanoukville
- 8:00 PM ~ DJ Bassbender at The Doors
- 6:00 PM ~ Roger De La Paz at The Led Zephyr in Sihanoukville
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Sammy the Bullet at The RiverHouse Lounge
- 8:00 PM ~ DJ Cecilia Wong at The RiverHouse Lounge
- The Grass Snake Union at Equinox
- Balgass at Equinox
- The Fumes at Equinox
- The Mincers * at Equinox
- Roger De La Paz at The Led Zephyr in Sihanoukville
- Krom at The Doors
- Kok Thlok at Equinox
- Mathius at The Warehouse in Siem Reap
- Scott Bywater at Rubies Wine Bar
- DJ Gang at The FCC Phnom Penh
- DJ Tonle Dub at MetaHouse