This week the Kingdom of Wonder welcomes the crazy professionalism of international act Dr. Eggs. The tour is in support of a new album called T.I.N.N.S. This album came out 7 years after the band's first album called Peep Show, but the basic elements of the Dr. Eggs experience are still there – angular synths, driving bass, aggro guitar and complex rhythms all topped by infectious melodies, slick raps and highly personal lyrics.
The band is starting its tour in Cambodia. They play their first gig on Friday at Equinox and play Sharkys on Saturday night. After that they move to Siem Reap where they will play at the X-Bar After Cambodia the band will move on to also play in Hong Kong, China, Singapore, the USA and more.
Joul Jacquin has been the the creative force behind Dr. Eggs for the past 15 years. He has delivered hundreds of high energy performances to charged up audiences across Europe, Asia and the USA. Leng Pleng was fortunate to catch Joul for an interview over this past week. Below you can see the interview and some totally great videos from the band.
From what I read, the band originated in France but now emanates from Hong Kong. Can you confirm this and also tell me what is the short summary of the band's history.
Yes, we originated 8 years ago at the time of our first album. We have been touring like hell since then with all the original members. We started pretty young, at high school. Last year we probably played about 180 shows. The rest of the band wanted to stop playing at that point - except for me of course. As I am writing most of the music, I thought it was OK to continue in my side. I went to Hong Kong for a vacation and I never came back. Now I play Dr. Eggs with some good friends. Most of the time it is the same group of people.
The bio says that the current tour will cover Hong Kong, China, Cambodia, Singapore, and the USA. Can you tell us where the tour has taken you so far and how has it been going?
Cambodia is the first “outside” gig of the year for DR.EGGS. Last year we toured Japan, Taiwan, the USA and France (with the original line up actually – a one time reunion after 8 years!). We are talking now about Singapore, Nepal, China (of course), hopefully Russia and then back to France.
There's always a certain amount of humour in everything you do and you cover a lot of the musical landscape from electronic to punk to rock to rap to reggae and more I expect. The band also seems to have a relatively fluid line-up. What can the Cambodian audience expect for the forthcoming gigs?
We are putting up a show with different artists on DR.EGGS. For this line up we have Simon from Sushi Robot. He is usually an Electro-DJ and plays bass for different hardcore bands in Hong Kong . He will spline some of his tunes in the DR.EGGS sets that we........
This week Durian will move their funkadellic ensemble to the FCC PHnom penh rooftop - cool. Also this week look for Tango & Snatch at the Show Box on Friday night, Brett Creswell & James at The Village on Saturday night and Scott Alan Knost at Molly Malones in Siem Reap early next week. Also, RingTail start a new series of gigs at the Dim Sum Emperors - right near Phsar Thmei - on Saturday evening. On Sunday afternoon RJ Marshall and Ziad Samman will playing a Sunday Sundowner Session at The Blitz Bar because Rubies are hosting a private function. This is all in addition to a great series of igs at both MetaHouse and The Village.
Tomorrow look for a special edition Leng Pleng article that we will post written by DJ Sequence entitled The Underground Club scene in Phnom Penh. Totally cool!
From Ted and I here in the back streets of Phnom Penh, have a great weekend, be cool with each other and see you around the traps. Here's this week's gig guide.
- 7:30 PM ~ No Forever at The Village
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Flo Trallala AND Greg Lavander at MetaHouse
- 5:00 PM ~ Cambodia Cuisine Festival at Olympic Stadium
- 7:00 PM ~ Tango & Snatch at The Show Box
- 8:30 PM ~ The Sonhador AND Bossa Nova at The Village
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Andy Freak at MetaHouse
- 9:00 PM ~ Dr. Eggs * at Equinox
- 9:00 PM ~ The Fumes at Paddy Rice
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ AshleyBaby at The RiverHouse Lounge
- 9:00 PM ~ The Lazy Drunks AND Scott Bywater at Sharkys
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ Gang AND DJ Rob Little at Pontoon
- 6:00 PM ~ Sistar AND Tahiti at Koh Pich
- 8:00 PM ~ Brett Creswell AND James at The Village
- 8:30 PM ~ Durian Funk Band at The FCC Phnom Penh
- 9:00 PM ~ Tiny Toones at Equinox
- 9:00 PM ~ Tango & Snatch AND Dr. Eggs * at Sharkys
- 9:00 PM ~ Dr. Wah Wah, Warren Daly, Shine On AND Dina Chhan at MetaHouse
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ Illest at Pontoon
- 6:00 PM ~ RJ Marshall AND Ziad Samman at The Blitz Bar
- 7:30 PM ~ RNA + Friends at The Village
- 8:00 PM ~ Carrousel at MetaHouse
- 9:00 PM ~ Scott Allan Knost * at Molly Malones in Siem Reap
- 9:00 PM ~ Dr. Eggs * at The X-Bar in Siem Reap
- 8:00 PM ~ Scott Allan Knost * at Molly Malones in Siem Reap
- 9:00 PM ~ The Rhiannon Johnson Quartet at The Village
- 9:00 PM ~ Ringtail at The Cavern
- Kheltica at The FCC Phnom Penh, Le Jardin
- Kin at The FCC Phnom Penh, The Doors
- Steve Sax at The FCC Phnom Penh
- DJ Jimmy Salsa at The FCC Phnom Penh
- Na Zdrovoie at Equinox\
- Holiday In Cambodia at Equinox
- Jaworski 7 at Equinox, Sharkys
- Durian Funk Band at Equinox
- Lewis Pragasam at The Village
- DJ Star, Meas Soksophear and DJ B-Boy Peanut at Tabu Club