Huge amounts of stuff happening again this week. What a totally cool scene!
This weekend features one of Phnom Penh favourite sons finally returning to Phnom Penh with his band after nearly 6 years. I refer to to totally cool and totally talented Davis Zunk who will play together with his band The Wunderlusters at Equinox on Friday and The Village on Saturday night. Davis was a romantic and funkadelic pioneer of the local music scene mack in the middle of the first decade with bands such as his Happy Lucky Love You Long Time funk band, the Mekong Messengers (the precursor to the renowned Hellhounds) and the Taxi Guys. The band is only in town for these two nights before they continue their short tour of SE Asia. Be sure to catch them.
Before that though you can be thoroughly entertained by Srey Chanty from the Cambodian Space Project as she spins out a huge number of hits from her collection of rare vinyls from the 1960 Khmer rock - the golden era of the Khmer local music scene. This happens tonight (Thursday) at MetaHouse. Also on Thursday are the absolutely unbeatable and spectacular views and music from DJ RLand at the Eclipse Skybar which sits atop the Phnom Penh Tower - the high rise on Monivong Blvd. Totally smokin!
Friday just features a totally great array of bands and performers at a variety of venues. No point in me going through them all - just check out the gig guide below.
For those who prefer a relaxed scene, Le Jardin continue their Sunset Sandpit Sessions - this week featuring the wonderful ballads and originals from Scott Bywater and Rob Pickering. Great stress-free environment with a sandpit for the kids, a beer/wine for Mum and Dad and some great music. Also early on Friday you can go to The Willow and also enjoy some scintillating food while you listen to the live music from Conrad Keeley and Chris Davis. To continue with your relaxing evening into the night you can move to The Doors to see and hear Lady & The Tramp or the Opera Cafe who will feature the beautiful vocals of Rhiannon Johnson.
A much more high-energy, dance situation will be at the Slur Bar Friday night as Dub Addiction debut at the venue. Sharkys will have a similar scene as the Adobo Conspiracy hits the stage of the longest running rock n roll bar in SE Asia. Also RNA return to Paddy Rice for what will be a long list of great renditions of a number of classic tunes. Definitely something you can find that you can get into amongst this smokin' collection of happening gigs
On Saturday night at Sharkys Phnom Penh heavey rock aficionados can revel in the countries loudest rock band. Straight from Siem Reap, this will be the X-Rays debut performance in the capital. Should be huge. They are supported by Khmer rock band Sangvar Day. Cool! On that same night over at Equinox catch the tunes of Moi Teat. The band features a collection of the live music scene's better known musicians and they perform two sets of original songs. If you are in Sihanoukville this weekend then make sure to catch Up 2 U Mango at the Led Zephyr both Friday and Saturday nights.
Tuesday really highlights the range of choice available in the local scene with Gentle Winds playing at The Village and Ricky Rotten & the Scumbags playing at The Cavern. Take a pick ;o).
Huge amounts of music coming up - including the totally talentless Rania - an all-girl dance-band from South Korea. OK - may be not completely talentless - looking totally sexy - yes, definitely 10 out of 10 for that one (check-out the flyer!) - and also some amazingly sumptuous and enticing dance moves - I'll give them that too. They will be performing at the Bayon Studio on the Russian Blvd. near Monivong on the 11th of July.
A quick note just to say you can check out Toma Willen's (GTS Jazz, Dub Addiction, Jahzad) new blog at http://www.toma-willen.com/dotclear/ . Before I go one more video from up around Siem Reap way using the latest in drone-video techjnology. Cool!
From Ted, Rob and I here in the back streets of Phnom Penh, have a great weekend, be cool with each other and see you around the traps. Here's this week's gig guide.
- 12:00 PM ~ Up 2 U Mango at Wat Opot Music Program in Kampong Speu
- 9:00 PM ~ Srey Chanthy at MetaHouse
- 9:30 PM ~ DJ RLand at Eclipse Sky Bar
- 6:00 PM ~ Scott Bywater and Rob Pickering at Le Jardin
- 7:30 PM ~ Conrad Keeley and Chris Davis at The Willow
- 8:30 PM ~ RNA + Friends at The Village
- 9:00 PM ~ Rom Bak - Break Dance Battle at MetaHouse
- 9:00 PM ~ The Wanderlusters * at Equinox
- 9:00 PM ~ The Adobo Conspiracy at Sharkys
- 9:00 PM ~ Dub Addiction at The Slur Bar
- 9:00 PM ~ Lady and the Tramp at The Doors
- 9:00 PM ~ The Rhiannon Johnson at The Opera Cafe
- 9:00 PM ~ Up 2 U Mango at The Led Zephyr in Sihanoukville
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ DSK * at Code
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ Rob Bianchett , DJ Ewone * and DJ Venables at Pontoon
- 7:00 PM ~ Sangvar Day The and X-Rays at Sharkys
- 8:00 PM ~ DJ Tonle Dub , DJ Mercy , DJ Java Tech , DJ Cab and DJ Simon C Vent at The Show Box
- 8:00 PM ~ Loo Banh Hean * at MetaHouse
- 8:30 PM ~ The Wanderlusters * at The Village
- 9:00 PM ~ Moi Tiet at Equinox
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ BBoy Peanut at The Slur Bar
- 9:00 PM ~ Up 2 U Mango at The Led Zephyr in Sihanoukville
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ Illest and DJ Bree at Pontoon
- 10:00 PM ~ Invisible Agent at MetaHouse
- 6:00 PM ~ Sokea , Sokun Nisa , Khem and Chhorn Sovanreach at Dream Land
- 8:00 PM ~ Scott Bywater at The Opera Cafe
- 7:30 PM ~ James Voan at The Village
- 7:30 PM ~ Gentle Winds at The Village
- 9:00 PM ~ Ricky Rotten & the Scumbags at The Cavern
- 7:30 PM ~ Lady and the Tramp at The Village
- Jahzad at Equinox
- RNA + Friends at Paddy Rice
- The Knockouts * at Equinox, Sharkys and The FCC Phnom Penh
- The Schkoots at Equinox
- The Anti-Fate and A.O.A. at The Show Box
- The Underdogs at Equinox
- Jaworski 7 at Equinox
- Up 2 U Mango at The Slur Bar
- DJ Azad at The Slur Bar
- At Pania at The Slur Bar
- The Lazy Drunks at The Slur Bar
- James Voan at The Village
- Gentle Winds at The Village
- Lady and the Tramp at The Village and The Doors
- Joe Wrigley at The Village
- Amanda Bloom at The Village
- Masahiro Watabe at The Village
- Krom at The Doors
- 9th B'day Bash at Memphis Pub
- Rania * at Bayon Studio
- OMID 16B at Pontoon