Election weekend is coming so, as expected, a much more tempered gig-guide this musical weekend.
The election has mainly impacted on Saturday, which is hosting only one gig. The Village will purport to be a restaurant and, as such, will claim not to rely on the sale of alcoholic beverages during their election-weekend negotiations. Consequently this venue is hosting the subtle saxophone infused flavours of Brentwood. MetaHouse were formerly hosting Swagger with Invisible Agent on this night but this has now had to be postponed to a later date. Keep tuned for info on that in later editions.
Friday is also a little lower than normal but there is still some totally cool music action coming our way. This will include the sophisticated Coffee-Rock emanating from the bluesy, acoustic fretboard of Brentrix / Brentus JP at this week's Sunset Sandpit Session at Le Jardin. Brent will be joined by fellow acoustic singer-songwriter Rob Pickering and also John M who will sings a great set of classic covers from the Neil Young / Bob Dylan era. Should be a totally cool session.
Two sets of totally 100% original material will be played when Moi Teat hit the stage at the Slur Bar later the same night. This band features some great harmonies from two of the local expat scene's best vocalists - Jenna Holliday and Scott Bywater. The band will also be joined by the returning Greg Lavender and that bigger-than-big-hearted bass-man Andre Swartz. Also Friday, Adobo Conspiracy play Sharkys and Holliday in Cambodia will be playing a couple of sets of classic covers at Paddy Rice. Cool!
Before that, however and happening tonight (Thursday), Dub Addiction return to the capital's most professionally equipped venue - Equinox. The band has been joined by KlapYaHadz' vocalist / dub-artist Lisha which will definitely increase the vibe and buzz to unprecedented levels of this, the most coolest of reggae-ragga dub bands in the country. Slur Bar also host a new band called Rock and The Village host the wonderful Joe Wrigley.
Another great venue you must keep in mind is the totally happening Showbox. The venue is totally moving most nights nowadays with something happening every day (check it out here). The venue will host Splitter this coming Tuesday. Also look for a couple of worthwhile gigs at The Doors and MetaHouse next Wednesday evening.
Breaking news in that the 2013 edition of Penhstock at Sharkys is pencilled in for early November - probably over 4 days of the long weekend from the 8th to the 11th. Cool! For those who have not attended this marathon feast of the local and international rock scene then I totally urge you to get there. They are one of the best and longest-running rock & roll bars in the region and have a great menu, lots of pool tables and an unrivalled rock & roll atmosphere. The following video will hook you into the vibe of Penhstock with a couple of tunes from Oscar's Band. Not the best sound quality - but you will get the idea.
On the other side of town, there are three new imminent album releases from players of the local scene. Krom will be releasing a new 14-track set very soon with a couple of tracks featuring Master Kong Nay. This will be a more upbeat album than the last with a more country feel. The album should be an amazing collaboration with a fusion of fundamental art-form genres that put the traditional 2-stringed Cambodian guitar (or chapei) of
From Ted, Rob and I here in the back streets of Phnom Penh, have a great weekend, be cool with each other and see you around the traps. Here's this week's gig guide.
- 7:30 PM ~ Joe Wrigley at The Village
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Cornel at MetaHouse
- 9:00 PM ~ Dub Addiction at Equinox
- 9:00 PM ~ Rock at The Slur Bar
- 7:30 PM ~ Carlyle at The Boomerang Bar and Restaurant
- 8:30 PM ~ DJ Rob Revo at The Village
- 9:00 PM ~ Rob Pickering , Brentrix and John M at Le Jardin
- 9:00 PM ~ The Adobo Conspiracy at Sharkys
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Peanut and DJ Stroke at MetaHouse
- 9:00 PM ~ Moi Tiet at The Slur Bar
- 9:00 PM ~ Holliday In Cambodia at Paddy Rice
- 8:30 PM ~ Brentwood at The Village
- 7:30 PM ~ James Voan at The Village
- 8:00 PM ~ Splitter at The Show Box
- 8:00 PM ~ No Forever at The Doors
- 8:00 PM ~ Gerd Isselhardt and Peter Cornelius at MetaHouse
- The Knockouts * at Sharkys, The FCC Phnom Penh
- Moi Tiet at Equinox
- DSN & Gemz at The Show Box
- The Kimchi Collective at MetaHouse
- Scott Allan Knost * at Molly Malones in Siem Reap
- The Q'Vans * at The FCC Phnom Penh
- The X-Rays at The Slur Bar
- Kok Thlok at The Slur Bar
- Greg Marino at The Show Box
- Khosal Khiev at The Show Box
- The Cambodian Space Project at Equinox