Great news for the Phnom Penh music scene this weekend as The Kampot Playboys have reformed into a fantastic new outfit. They bring a rare performance of Khmer Fusion Rock to the capital with a gig at Sharkys on Saturday night. The band have a couple of new members including a totally smoking-hot Tro player – a graduate from the Khmer Cultural Development Institute (click here for more info). Also, lead vocalist, Cheat, still belts out a totally great set of originals and golden era classics. Not to be missed.
|Kheltica - www.kenedgar.com|
Meanwhile, a huge weekend of music is taking place at Doors Phnom Penh under the banner of Big Folk – Phnom Penh's First Folk Music Festival. Seven acts over two evenings include Holey Bucket Union, Kok Thlok and Kheltica. The event begins at 6pm on each day, with a cover charge of $5 for one night or $7 for both nights. The theme is Folk, Roots and Traditional music of both Western and Cambodian origin. Jack is particularly looking forward to the performance of last week's cover star Jimmy Kiss, who has reportedly acquired a special backing band for the occasion. If you missed the Jimmy Kiss story, get up-to-date here.
An astonishing new promo video was released by last week by Dub Addiction – Cambodia's only Raggamuffin-reggae band. Check out the super hard-hitting 'So Pea Set' - an ingenious video treatment of urban Phnom Penh directed by Alexis Zeisler. Jack is addicted!
Thousands of miles from the gritty streets of the Penh, a venue in Hollywood is getting ready for a huge summer festival of Cambodian music. According to the organisers, the event at The Ford Theatre 'is about supporting and participating in a larger movement that is shaking up Hollywood and moving through to its rightful place on the world stage... Transcendence lies within the creation and sharing of these new [Cambodian music] works, which humbly strive to replace what was nearly destroyed.'
While there are a few big names conspicuously absent from the line up (no Dub Addiction? No newly reformed Drakkar Band?), headliners Dengue Fever, The Cambodian Space Project and Laura Mam will all be there on the 4th August 2014. The fourteen acts performing at The Cambodian Music Festival will combine to show the great provenance and the healthy current state of music of Cambodian origin. Check out the promo video below.
Cambodian Music Festival performer Bochan contacted Leng Pleng to let us know about her latest music release entitled 'Hello Hi'. Bochan writes, 'This release is very dear to me as it was an original song composed by my late father here in the States in 1989. I stumbled upon the cassette tape during an NPR interview on my father's legacy of keeping the music alive among the refugee community. The song completely grabbed my attention and became the inspiration for my new album.' Cool! Follow the soundcloud links to listen to Hello Hi and remixes.
Savy is another Cambodian-American star taking part in the August festival. She recently released the self-penned single About a Boy – check out the video below.
One leading Cambodian band who might be a little too hardcore for mainstream audiences (and they wouldn't have it any other way) are Sliten6ix. The band got in touch to let us know that their newly-released EP Nevermore is available for streaming and for download at sliten6ix.bandcamp.com. To download the track you will need to put in your name and email address, as well as the price you would like to pay (you can enter zero if you wish but Leng Pleng recommend you support the band with more than that).
Several hot bands will be taking the stage at Oscar 51 over the next few days. The tagline for The Cambodian Space Project's gig on Friday, 'Keep Oscar Flying', suggests that the venue could use a little boost from it's patrons to continue to be able to promote live music several nights a week. The Foreign Passports provide an opening act for CSP, and this great Funk/Blues band from Sihanoukville are worth the $2 cover charge alone. Catch the full Foreign Passports experience at The Groove on Saturday night.
Also on Saturday, Mispent Yooth return to Oscar 51. The band has an ultra-strong and experienced line-up and purports some of the local scenes best musicians, including Lewis Pragasam, Chris Kebeck, 'Smokin' Kenny Smith and Dave Zdriluk. In addition to these great gigs, Oscar is offering three (that's three) free beers to anyone willing to put in a set at Thursday's open mic. Should be a good one, with the stage open to comedians as well as musicians.
Stay safe and see you around the traps,
- 9:00 AM ~ Hear My Song 2014 Launch at The CJCC
- 8:00 PM ~ Open Mic Music & Comedy at Oscars 51
- 9:00 PM ~ The Tuk Tuk Sessions at Equinox
- 9:00 PM ~ Submarine Brass Band at The Groove
- 8:00 PM ~ MWAUKA & The Gang at The Village
- 8:00 PM ~ DJ Proff at A Boat on the Mekong River
- 8:00 PM ~ The Cambodian Space Project and The Foreign Passports at Oscars 51
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Illest , DJ Gang , DJ Rob Bianche and Mc Dolla at Pontoon
- 9:00 PM ~ Diego Dimarques trio at The Groove
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Nicomatic and DJ Wah-Wah at Meta House
- 9:00 PM ~ The Fumes at Equinox
- 9:30 PM ~ Submarine Brass Band at The Slur Bar
- 10:00 PM ~ Tim Coates and Alan Ritchie at Code Red
- 11:00 PM ~ DJ Tech 12 and MC Hydro Phonics at Pontoon
- 11:00 PM ~ DJ BBoy Peanut and DJ Gigahurtz at The RiverHouse Lounge
- 1:00 AM ~ DJ Ewone * at Pontoon
- 6:00 PM ~ Holey Bucket Union , Miss Sarawan , Los Illustrados and Jimmy Kiss at The Doors
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Edwardowski and DJ Island at The Laundry Music Bar in Siem Reap
- 9:00 PM ~ The Foreign Passports at The Groove
- 9:00 PM ~ Mispent Yooth at Oscars 51
- 9:00 PM ~ The Kampot Playboys at Sharky Bar
- 9:00 PM ~ Vibratone and DJ Rachid Baggasse at Equinox
- 9:30 PM ~ The Adobo Conspiracy at The Slur Bar
- 10:00 PM ~ DJ Phatt Controller , DJ Sequence and DJ Alan Ritchie at Dusk till Dawn
- 6:00 PM ~ Kheltica , Kok Thlok and Roxanne Dumont at The Doors
- 6:30 PM ~ James Whitehead at The Sundance Inn & Saloon
- 9:30 PM ~ Woody Dares at Oscars 51
- 9:30 PM ~ Pavel at The Slur Bar
- 9:00 PM ~ DJ Alan Ritchie at Dusk till Dawn
- 9:30 PM ~ Woody Dares at The Slur Bar
- Grass Snake Union at Equinox
- Jahzad at Equinox
- Dub Addiction at Equinox
- Pop Music Quiz Night at Equinox
- Bands of Cambodia Music Video Night at Equinox
- RJ Marshall at Equinox
- Submarine Brass Band at Equinox
- The Cambodian Space Project at Equinox
- The Adobo Conspiracy at Equinox
- SunBodia at Phnom Penh Passenger Port
- Marsyas at Equinox
- Vibratone at Equinox
- Tamaraka Trio at The Slur Bar
- Jahzad and Wat A Gwaan at The Slur Bar
- Rox & Friends at Slur Bar
- MWAUKA & The Gang at The Slur Bar
- Miss Sarawan at The Slur Bar
- Sonic Detergent at The Slur Bar
- Luna Negra at FCC - The Mansion
- The Klezbodians at The Slur Bar
- Punk & Rock Festival at Slur Bar
- Joshua Chiang at The Slur Bar
- DJ Tim Coates and DJ Mikus at The RiverHouse Lounge
- DJ Illest at Pontoon
- DJ R-Wan at Pontoon
- DJ Feraliskinky at Pontoon
- DJ Luke Coolhand and DJ Chantal at The Pontoon Pulse
- Mapro at The Pontoon Pulse
- DJ Bree, DJ Polaak and MC Kaztet D at The Slur Bar
- The Kampot Playboys at The Blissful Guesthouse in Kampot